This week's post on LDW Magazine.....
So…I considered not posting this week due to Conference because if any of you are anything like me, then you have much to ponder already and I know I can in no way measure up to what has been shared this weekend. But what I did decide is share some of the thoughts I was able to capture in my notes that touched my heart…there are more that I just wasn’t able to get down. I made notes as to which talks I need to review to recap (although I review all of them when they are available in print anyway).
Just note that I wrote what struck me at the time I heard it…I will make the application to my life when I can read them in print. Also, what I wrote may or may not be exact quotes…in trying to keep up, I paraphrase and I also tend to write much messier, so I have to decipher my own handwriting as well.
I will put the quotes into my Scripture Journal I will soon be creating. I had heard of Scripture Journals some time ago, but when I had the time to explore it, could find NOTHING to guide me. In between sessions on Sat, I discovered The Redheaded Hostess…and O M G…she is simply amazing. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on her site….I will be!
Saturday Morning Session
L. Tom Perry
“the sacrament was made for man, not man for the sacrament
Jean Stephens
“what can we learn from children: humility, reverence, kindness, service, believing heart, faith, testimony, optimism, hope, charity, courage, trust, meekness, obedience, be teachable…”
“gospel truths found a place in my heart”
“behold your children”
Walter Gonzalez
“show others what our church can add to what they are already doing”
Kent Richards
“Pain is a gauge of the healing process”
“Pain teaches patience”
Quentin Cook
(this one made me cry…..) “many hands stand ready to help single moms”
*my “to do” from his talk: keep a list of favorite scriptures in my purse
President Henry B. Eyring
“turn sympathy into unselfish service”
“You cannot give yourself poor”
“A person cannot give a crust to the Lord without receiving a loaf back”
“when we join hands to serve, the Lord unites hearts”
Saturday Afternoon Session
Boyd K. Packer
“love one another and frankly forgive others”
“If you are carrying a burden, let it go”
“If you have been offended, forget it, forgive it, leave it alone”
“husband is the head of the home; wife is the heart of the home”
“nothing you do will bring _____ back; anything you do will make it worse”
“it is not easy to be LDS, but in the end, it is the only religion that works”
Russell M. Nelson
“we live to die, and we die to live…again”
“the only death that is premature is the one of he who is unprepared to meet God”
“do not let our fears displace our faith”
“Gods’ angels are ever on call to help us”
“it takes faith to obey, and obedience strengthens faith”
“pray with an eternal perspective”
“those who diligently follow the Lord will suffer persecution”
“faithful saints do not face battles alone”
Richard Maynes
“Families are like a rope; each strand woven together makes us stronger.”
Dallin H. Oaks
“Desire dictates our priorities; Priorities shape our choices; Choices determine our actions.”
“The desires we act upon affect our changing, achieving, becoming.”
“3 requirements of action: desire, labor, faith”
Sunday Morning Session
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
“turn down the volume of the world so we can hear the whisperings of the Spirit that can often only be heard with our hearts”
“answers to prayers don’t come while on knees, but while on our feet”
“in answering the prayers of others, we will receive the answers to our own”
“Preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary, use words.—St. Francis of Assissi”
“Blessed are they that have not seen, but yet believe.”
Paul V. Johnson
(I made a note that this talk was for ME…but was so busy listening, I didn’t write much down)
“afflictions provide a trial of our faith”
“The only way to see the view is to make the hike.”
David Bednar
“sincere desire and worthiness invite revelation to our life”
“to receive revelation we need a faithful heart, honest intent, and belief that we will receive”
“revelation will enlighten your mind, enlarge your heart, protect and direct you and your family”
President Thomas S. Monson
“Temples are filled with faith and fasting. They are built of trials and testimony. They are sanctified by sacrifice and service.”
“Until you have entered the temple and received the blessings there, you have not received all the church has to offer.”
*my to do from his talk: put a picture of a temple in every room in my home
“temples are a beacon to the world and an expression of our testimonies”
“Be good citizens in the nations where we live; Be good neighbors in our communities.”
Sunday Afternoon Session
Richard G. Scott
(this one was hard for me to listen to as my marriage ended as a result of infidelity, among other things)
“be faithful mentally as well as physically”
Todd Christofferson
“The gospel is a plan to help us be what the Lord wants”
“we should willingly accept and seek correction”
“Correction persuades us to repent—the Lord chastens those He loves”
“Correction refines and sanctifies us—we must be tried in all things to be prepared for great things”
“Correction redirects our course—told a story about a gardener” *this story was for me
“A sign of selfishness: when one who is in a position to correct, but does not.”
Carl B. Pratt
“payment of tithing does not have to be related to cash income”
“tithing is not a matter of money, but of faith”
“the lord’s richest blessings are spiritual”
Lynn Robbins
“To Do -- To Be”
“To Do—what we are, what we do, an activity, a check off item”
“To Be—who we are, a process, part of our nature, not finished”
“one without the other is hypocrisy”
“The things we do should be evidenced by our ‘to be’ “
“consider a difficult child a blessing”
Scott Grow
Story about his brother falling away and eventual return to fellowship
“the atonement heals not only the transgressor, but also the innocent victims of the transgressor. When the victim forgives the transgressor, the Savior heals the heart of the victim.”
Jeffrey R. Holland
“The gospel is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.”
“If we teach by the spirit, and you listen by the spirit, we will hear the message intended for us.”
“bedlamites”

No comments:
Post a Comment