1. Do you think you have a good body image?
no...I know I don't. I haven't in YEARS...like since grade school.
2. Why are we always concerned with losing weight when chances are the people in our lives tell us we look fine the way we are?
I've been thinking about this in general alot in recent months...and read this question just before I got in the shower to rinse hair color from my hair. Ironic, huh? I think it is primarily media-driven....everyone we see on tv programs, commercials, magazines, etc have perfect hair, perfect skin, perfect nails, and are rail thin. It begins when we are children and progresses through adolescence to teens...but what we don't know then is that these women PAY to look good. And they pay LOTS. By the time we know the dollars that go into their perfect bodies, our self image is already built...and destroyed. Especially if there isn't someone to counteract the effects of the media.
This then extends to other parts of our lives...our abilities as a mother, how good a friend we are, etc.
This then extends to other parts of our lives...our abilities as a mother, how good a friend we are, etc.
I've been told by a close friend that I "hide in plain sight", I don't "let others know just how much intellect I hold inside", and she also told me I have all the symptoms of battered woman syndrome except the bruises. This began long ago, but has been perpetuated over the years.
I am now learning to not just like myself, as I am, but to love myself, as I am. It is not easy, and it is a sometimes painful journey. I have many resources, first and foremost the gospel of Jesus Christ. I also have many books and websites that I have found or been referred to.

2 comments:
I agree that our negative body image has a lot to do with media. If only feeling better about ourselves was as easy as turning off the tv!
It's true that the media has a lot to do with image. I used to fall into that trap, but I've worked not to worry about that anymore. There are things I really want to change about myself, of course, but I don't focus on the negative as much as I used to.
Post a Comment