Tuesday, November 1, 2011

LDW Blog Post


As I started way back in the spring, a few steps on the road to happiness are developing the attributes described in "The Family: A Proclamation to the World".  It seems I did not get as far along as I had thought; in fact, only two have been shared.  (See links below.)



The next attribute in the proclamation is repentance.  Repentance is acknowledgement of a wrongdoing, an ill thought, a harsh word....and making amends to correct the effects of such actions.  It is more than simply saying "I'm sorry" (although that is a great place to start).  But repentance is turning away from that which is unbecoming to the Lord.  

President Monson said "Our task is to become our best selves. One of God's greatest gifts to us is the joy of trying again, for no failure ever need be final."  There is great hope in that statement..."no failure ever need be final."  IF we repent we can be forgiven...and move forward.

In the most recent General Conference, Elder Todd Christofferson spoke of repentance, and gave 5 aspects to help in understanding this fundamental principle of the gospel.

     1.  "The invitation to repent is an expression of love. "  In a past General Conference, Elder Neil Andersen said "The invitation to repent is rarely a voice of chastisement but rather a loving appeal to turn around and to “re-turn” toward God."  When our friends, leaders, or our own conscience suggests there is need to repent, we should not become offended.  We should feel grateful they love us enough to want to help us.   

     2.  "Repentance means striving to change." Repentance is more a journey than a one-time event. Change is hard.  We will falter.  We will struggle.  And, sometimes in our repentance, in our daily efforts to become more Christlike, we find ourselves struggling over and over with the same difficulties.  Don’t be discouraged. If you are striving and working to repent, you are in the process of repenting.  And the Lord is there to help us; as long as we continue and do not give up, we will succeed.  Repentance becomes part of our daily lives.

     3.  "Repentance means not only abandoning sin but also committing to obedience." The forsaking of sins implies never returning. Forsaking requires time. To help us, the Lord at times allows the residue of our mistakes to rest in our memory.  As long as we remember what we did, and the effect it had/has on those around us, we will be less likely to repeat the same offense.

    4.  "Repentance requires a seriousness of purpose and a willingness to persevere, even through pain."  This is much more than a casual “I admit it; I’m sorry.”  Sorrow and regret and bitter tears often accompany one’s confession, especially when his or her actions have been the cause of pain to someone or, worse, have led another into sin.  Any pain entailed in repentance will always be far less than the suffering required to satisfy justice for unresolved transgression. 

     5.  "Whatever the cost of repentance, it is swallowed up in the joy of forgiveness."  Repentance always means that there is greater happiness ahead.

There is a quote I saw recently that said  "Don't apologize if you're still going to do the things you're sorry for."  The opportunity to repent is readily available, but it is not designed to be a forethought...we shouldn't begin our day with the thought that I'm going to mess up, but I can repent later.  That is a mockery of the Savior's atonement and suffering in Gethsemane and on the cross.  We should instead begin (and end) each day with the prayer that the Lord will guide our thoughts and actions to be those becoming of a child of God.  

I am grateful for the gift of repentance (and subsequent forgiveness...a topic to be revisited next time).  While I shudder to think that even one drop of Christ's blood was shed for me...I know that His sufferings in Gethsemane were on my behalf.  I will continue to strive to live so that I may return to live with Him.  I challenge you to do the same, to welcome the opportunity to repent for what it is, a gift and not a reprimand.


No comments: