A friend of mine has the following on her Facebook info page:
“I am a personal chef, taxi cab driver, nurse, doctor, tutor, maid, banker, stylist, shopper, gardener, hairdresser….a MOM.” Some of us can add full time employee, event planner, peacemaker, cheerleader, mentor/coach, storyteller, teacher, and a host of other titles.
How do we fit it all in? How do we do all of those things, plus the personal and family building activities we are counseled to do (ie scripture study, FHE, prayer, etc)? How do we find peace and balance amid the chaos and activity of our lives?
I don’t profess to have the answers. I often don’t even feel qualified to be writing this blog. I’m often overwhelmed myself and swamped in my own inadequacies and burdens of life. However, the leaders of the church are fully qualified and very much aware of the need for balance. I was encouraged that not only did my ideas match some of those of the general authorities, but much of what is suggested is totally 100% do-able.
The short list (ie MY list) is this:
--Plan
--Schedule
--Prioritize
--Attend the temple
Before beginning any endeavor, we should review the covenants we have made with the Lord. This will allow us to see where we can improve our life and our day to day duties.
1. Set your priorities—figure out where you are going and what you need to do to get there. (This would be the Planning part.) Write your daily tasks, using the covenants made with the Lord foremost in mind (Schedule).
2. Set short term goals—Goals that are balanced, ie not too many, not too few; not too high, not too low. Pray for guidance. Write them down in order of importance (ie Prioritize).
3. M. Russell Ballard says, “…we will never have balance in our lives unless our finances are securely under control.” Control your *real* needs and balance them against your wants. Always, always, pay a full tithing.
4. Stay close to family, friends, children, etc. Good relationships can be maintained through good communication. “A man’s character is the reality of himself—his reputation is the opinion others have formed of him. Character is in him—Reputation is from others. Character is the substance—Reputation is the shadow.” There is a saying that it takes a village to raise a child…while it may not actually take a village…the message is that we are not intended to “balance” alone.
5. Study the scriptures. There is no greater source of peace in one’s daily life. Sincere study produces faith and provides hope and solutions to daily challenges. I have found as I try to read each day (usually in the morning, but not always), that I not only learn something new, but new insights come to mind that are specific to whatever the day brings.
6. Schedule time for sufficient rest, exercise, and relaxation. Take care of your body. Obey the word of wisdom. We will never have the mental or physical energy to meet the demands pressed on us if we do not adequately nourish and exercise our bodies, as well as adequately rest our mind and bodies.
7. Teach one another in regular Family Home Evening. Seek after the things of God.
8. Pray often. (Need I say more?)
I have been struggling lately with getting things done, especially in the evenings. I have hope that the beginning of the school year will help in that it will get my boys back to a regular schedule. We are in our third week this week, and so far, not happening. But I still hope. I also hope some of the ideas presented will help you find peace and balance. I know that when I pray and read the scriptures, I don’t feel as overwhelmed, even if I haven’t actually accomplished a single thing.

No comments:
Post a Comment