Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop


Mama’s

The Prompts:

1.) Your 15 minutes of fame.

2.) A rule I broke.

3.) If you really knew me, you would know that…

4.) What battle are you fighting? Write a poem overcoming.

5.) Write about someone who made your childhood bearable.



Let me preface this by saying that I seldom share my poems.  Unless I have been requested to write one or have written one with a particular person or subject in mind, my poems are for my own personal growth and self exploration.  They are one of the ways I express myself, and therefore are very very personal to me, and I don't put the feelings of my heart out there very often.  So, if you are reading this...consider yourself blessed, if only for this moment.  (And be kind, please.)

This Battle Is Done
April 7, 2011


I'm fighting a war begun long ago, I don't know when.
A war begun by others, but now fought within.
A slow chipping away of my inner being until there is no more.
Now my soul is left open, scarred, bared to the core.

Knowledge is power, or so they say.
And I'm learning a bit more about myself day by day.
This war I'm fighting, is bigger than I could ever know.
Battle after battle, designed to tear me down, but ultimately has helped me grow.

I wonder daily, but still don't know the reasons why,
My heart is broken, empty, heavy, and I often cry.
Even surrounded by many, the world can be a lonely place.
But with faith and friends, I will get by with grace.

It's a long, tortuous journey I have ahead.
But I will endure and allow myself to be led.
The war is far from over, but this battle is done.
It's a slow process, and the emerging has only just begun. 

How will I know when I'm done?
How will I know I have overcome?
One day, I will wake and all will be well...
Joy will fill my soul and cause my heart to swell.
                                                                Mj
                                                                                   




3 comments:

Pitterle Postings said...

Very nice Michelle. You are right, it is so hard to put our hearts out there for others, but I think you did a wonderful job!

Jennifer said...

Visiting from Mama Kat's place.

I can relate to your poem, one of the best I have read today.

Unknown said...

This is a very powerful poem. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Mama Kat's.