Saturday, April 2, 2011

Blogging from A - Z April Challenge--B








B--Beach

I love the beach (well, any body of water, really)...but the beach is my favorite.  There is something magical, peaceful, and blissful looking out until the water meets the horizon.  The waves lapping on the shore has such a rythmic sound....we once slept in our car on the beach in Galveston.  It was not a planned trip, but it was so much fun.  I remember the first time I went to Galveston; I was told to face the ocean and open my mouth...salt.  It is in the air, it settles on the windows of the restaurants and businesses along the shorefront. 
Another year, we went on vacation there...and camped at one of the state parks.  We couldn't see the ocean from the campsites, but we could hear it.  My daughter was 5 or 6 at the time...she learned from another family how to make "drip castles".  Our last day there, there was a terrible storm...so bad we tried to find a hotel but they were all full.  I also got sun poisoning that year.  If you've never had it, trust me, it is awful.  I was red as a lobster, swollen, and burned all over--not just sunburn kind of burn, but also a tingly electric kind of burn.  There is (was) a hotel that was over the water...the driveway was a bridge over the beach...I remember sitting under that driveway in the shade, and a woman that passed by told me to take aspirin...it takes the burn out.  She was so right.  I didn't and don't take aspirin as a general rule...but it sure did take the edge off the tingling!

And our last vacation in Galveston, we stayed at that hotel over the water.  The Flagship.  It was awesome.  We were on the top floor (there were only 6)...I remember the first morning we were there...my now oldest son but then youngest child, was just waking up.  As he was mumbling to ask to go outside, he shot straight up in bed, and in the most excited voice practically yelled "we're in Galveston"...and promptly walked to the balcony. 


We went to Corpus Christi one year as well, but I didn't enjoy it as much.  I don't know if it was the time of year, if it was the weather...but there was seaweed everywhere, and jellyfish.  So we couldn't even walk on the beach. 

This is by far the prettiest beach I have seen....it is the beach at La Push Quiluete Indian Reservation outside of Forks, WA. We went to visit my best friend last year...and she lives about 4 hours from Forks. We couldn't be that close and not go....it was awesome.










(He was throwing rocks into the waves and then running as the water came in.)





No comments: