Prayer
First, my apologies for being a week behind. Still getting the hang of single momhood…some days and weeks have their challenges.As the second installment in my series on how to be happy…it goes without saying that prayer should be an integral part of this journey. Without it, not much else we do will be very effective.
There are 7 principles of prayer (from lds.org search for “prayer”:
*Make our prayers meaningful
*Use language that shows love, respect, reverence, and closeness
*Always give thanks to Heavenly Father
*Seek Heavenly Father’s guidance and strength in all we do
*Remember the needs of others as we pray
*Seek the guidance of the Holy Ghost as we pray
*Do all we can to assist in it’s being granted
I’d like to address the last principle, as I think that is where I falter most of the time. It is common, I think, and I know I certainly do this, to pray for a certain outcome or to pray for guidance, direction, discernment, etc…and then just wait for it to come. I equate this to praying for a good grade on a test, and then not studying for said test and still expecting to get a good grade. We must put action behind our words.
But what if what we pray for doesn’t happen? Or what if it doesn’t happen the way we want or anticipate? I prayed much during last year, when I suspected my husband’s infidelity…prayed for confirmation, prayed for his heart to be softened. And there were times when I thought I had received answers…but the outcome of my prayers is not what I wanted at the time, and is certainly not what I expected.
When I was struggling to know if my decision to separate from my husband was the right decision, I prayed for some sign, for some confirmation that I was doing the right thing. I also fasted, studied my scriptures, paid attention to sacrament talks and other lessons. The Sunday after he had gone home to visit his family, and while I was in the midst of my indecision, I was overcome with the spirit during the opening song in Relief Society. The song was “Choose the Right”…and the line was in the second verse, “Be safe through inspiration’s power”. I was filled with an incredible sense peace, while at the same time I couldn’t catch my breath, my heart was pounding, and I suddenly started crying. In that moment, I knew without a doubt that I was doing the right thing for my family.
I do believe that everything I have experienced has been part of the Lord’s plan. For reasons I have yet to fully understand, what I prayed for and the positive answers I thought I received are not to be. And I’m slowly starting to be OK with that. That is not to say that it has been easy, there have been and will still be bumps along the way…but I have a peace I would never have expected or received if I had simply prayed for it.
As we approach General Conference weekend, I encourage each of us to consider the challenges we face and prayerfully formulate questions we’d like to receive answers to. Invite the spirit into our hearts, so we will be ready and able to obey the words of the Lord’s mouthpiece.

No comments:
Post a Comment